Cathy & Todd talk with author and educator Jessica Lahey about her book The Addiction Inoculation and the importance of Social Emotional Learning (SEL) when it comes to substance-use disorders, self-awareness, and emotional intelligence and regulation. They discuss the risk factors surrounding addiction and how genetics and culture play a role. Jessica shares what kids most need to hear from us and how we can create conversations about alcohol use, abuse, and the myths that don’t hold up to research. Link to Podcast Episode on our website.
Jessica Lahey (@jesslahey) is the author of the New York Times bestselling book The Gift of Failure: How the Best Parents Learn to Let Go So Their Children Can Succeed and The Addiction Inoculation: Raising Healthy Kids in a Culture of Dependence. Over twenty years, Jessica has taught every grade from sixth to twelfth in both public and private schools and spent five years teaching in a drug and alcohol rehab for adolescents in Vermont. She currently serves as a recovery coach at Sana at Stowe, a medical detox and recovery center in Stowe, Vermont, where 100 percent of her salary goes to a scholarship fund for young adults.
Connect with us!
- Join Team Zen
- Ask Us Anything!
- Guys- Complete a MenLiving Connect profile
- Subscribe to Cathy’s weekly Zen Parenting Moment
- Buy Cathy’s Book Zen Parenting: Caring for Ourselves and Our Children in an Unpredictable World
- Find everything ZPR on our Resources Page
This week’s sponsor(s):
- Avid Co DuPage County Area Decorating, Painting, Remodeling by Avid Co includes kitchens, basements, bathrooms, flooring, tiling, fire and flood restoration.
- MenLiving – A virtual and in-person community of guys connecting deeply and living fully. No requirements, no creeds, no gurus, no judgements
- Todd Adams Life & Leadership Coaching for Guys
3:55 Who do some people have a problem with SEL in schools?
14:30 Risk factors for substance abuse
19:17 Are there differences in how best to support young men and young women?
24:14 How do we talk to our kids about addiction?
41:20 Telling the truth to our kids
46:20 Escaping and numbing behavior
49:52 The importance of modeling
53:55 Todd’s sister and genetics
100:45 Todd throws up & a discussion about rehab